Where are you going when you tell someone you're 'going home'? For me, most days, 'home' is my flat in London, but it means a dwelling, somewhere that more often that not I got back to after work, or generally just somewhere I keep the majority of my stuff. Yet I still refer to any visit back to see my parents in Milton Keynes as 'going home'.
![]() |
| My family home being built in 1994 |
I know that four years after I made the proper move out that my Eeyore bath towel and flannel will be ready for me to use. I never have to pack pyjamas and a toothbrush because as far as my mum's concerned they belong in the spare room which is still 'my room'. I just know the familial habits which are unspoken but known amongst the four of us: the left corner of the three-seater sofa is reserved for my stepdad; all plugs must be switched off at the wall before going to bed; face the shower head towards the wall to ensure the entire bathroom isn't flooded.
The house is stacked full of memories. Like that time my mum decided she hated the way the lounge was decorated and just started tearing off wallpaper there and then (to my delight because it was minging). Or when I ran to get a towel from the airing cupboard, caught myself on a bannister railing and promptly broke my toe. Opening my stocking in 1995 and knowing that Santa was 100% totally and definitely real because my mum wasn't there to fill it, so who else could have done such a job? (She was a tad busy being in hospital with my three-day old tiny, premature baby sister, but gave strict instructions to my stepdad who clearly nailed the challenge.) TEN YEARS of Saturdays with my three stepbrothers coming over and somehow none of us killing each other.
Things change because they have to. I'll be damned if I can remember which cupboard the ketchup is now in, I still expect to see our dearly departed goldfish Zest in his old spot above the board game shelves (when really he's buried in the garden in front of the compost bin), and the family calendar above the microwave doesn't have my name on any more, but my holidays are still on there as an FYI.
I come back to Milton Keynes to see my immediate family because they're three of my favourite people in the universe and still make me laugh more than anyone else ever. But this house is my safe place, my terra firma. Even Milton Keynes itself is a reassurance. It is home and, even when I have my own house and family, it kind of always be.





I love this. So so sweet, and so true! I don't know where anything is in our kitchen anymore (because my Mum gets bored easily and likes moving things around for the lols) but I know the habits and rules like the back of my hand, and that's super comforting.
ReplyDeleteBut I think what I love the most about this is the knee-length socks and platform sandals. IT'S LIKE NOTHING'S CHANGED.
Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle Blog
Aww thanks Katy. I was a fashion maestro from an early age, obvs.
DeleteCx
This post made me tear up ... that part about your stepdad filling the stockings killed me!!! Thanks for sharing your lovely memories. xx
ReplyDeleteHe's a good'un! That or my mum is terrifying and he knew the consequences if he messed up!!
DeleteThanks for reading lovely
Cx
Ah I adored this post. I know no matter where I am in the world, my parents house will always be my home. It's a place where I feel loved and secure. A place where I know someone will always have my back. Nothing will ever be able to beat that!
ReplyDeleteSophie
x
It's so much about just being able to relax, and not in a lazy 'my mum will make my dinner' way, but in a 'this is normal' way
DeleteCx
I'm not a big family person so since I moved out of my parent's house, it has become 'my parent's house' and no longer my home. Home is something very personal to me, it's a place where I can be my true self and not have to live after the rules set by anyone bar me. It's nice returning to my family's place though, as they've kept my room and I know I'm always welcomed there. However, I respect the house as my parent's place and I feel this is a big part of adult life, having your own place and respecting each others personal space.
ReplyDeleteLoved reading your post though, it's fascinating to me when people write about home and what it means to me and also when they are so rooted with their family.
Caz | Style Lingua
It's really interesting to hear how you perceive home; I think wherever you can find respite and peace is most important, no matter where it is.
DeleteCx
That wallpaper is very reminiscent of what we had in our living room when I was a kid too. After spending the last few days at "home" this post is all too relevant xx
ReplyDeleteAh, late 90s decor - what a dream!
DeleteCx