All content and photos property of Charlie Elliott (unless otherwise stated). Powered by Blogger.

Making Friends on the Internet

group of friends

It just so happened that this year Galentine's Day and Internet Friends Day both fell on 13th February. OK, so they're both completely made up and not officially recognised holidays (YET), but both of them mean something particularly special to me this year.


I've never had a group of girl friends; not in the Sex In The City/Now And Then sense. Not one of those cohesive units that functions perfectly with very specific people in it. I've always had certain friends that are my go-to for a moan, some who you know will always have a bottle of wine at the ready, and those who I can talk to in depth about culture or food. Get them all together and they're sure to get on, but there's never been a solid group and that is absolutely OK. I love them all and couldn't be without them.

And through the internet, I have even more wonderful, gorgeous individuals. Foodies that I meet up with to try a weird new restaurant concept (never change, Lucy and Etta); girls that have made me cackle like a mad woman from the first moment I met them (Emma and Leanne, I'm looking right at you!).


But last year something happened. Somehow, through the magic of the internet, I became part of a friendship 'group'. I met each of them individually; some through Twitter, some at blog events, some through each other, but gradually we all came together. A Whatsapp group was formed and seamlessly we became integral parts of each other's lives. No holding back necessary, these girls immediately became my confidantes, my agony aunts, my BFFs.



Any achievement is greeted with such beautifully genuine praise, any problem is taken with the utmost severity, any Harry Potter or Mean Girls reference is rewarded with a flurry of capital letter exclamations and praise hand emojis. No matter what needs to be said, from the banal to the damn right ridiculous, it's shared, acknowledged and spun out into an epic conversation that drains your phone battery before you know it.



We are from all walks of life, drawn to London from around the world, ranging in age, profession and marital status. Aside from blogging, there's not anything obvious that we have in common, it's literally our total adoration for each other that brought us together. When we meet up in person, which is wonderfully frequent, the excitement is unadulterated and always so much fun.



They're no longer my 'internet friends', they are purely 'my friends', and I bloody love them. Charley, Claire, Emma, Erica, Torch, KB, Katy, Milly and Jasmin, I heart you big time. Bangarang for life!

21 comments

  1. Such a sweet post!! I love that blogging has introduced me to so many wonderful people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie Hartley14 February 2016 at 16:24

    This is such an amazing post. I love the fact that the internet brings to many people together - I'm definitely getting more involved in the blogging world at the moment and hopefully one day I'll have a blogger friendship group as fab as yours.

    Steph - http://nourishmeclean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am honoured to just even be mentioned my love! I feel very lucky to have met you and some of the Bangarang ladies. Let the fun continue for years to come :) *big hugs and lots of love* x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful :') The internet is an incredible place and I'm so glad I've met you and so many of the other lovelies you've mentioned because of it <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks lovely, thank the lord for the internet!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Can't wait to see you at the weekend!!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for reading, Steph. I never set out with the expectation of meeting friends but it's been such a lovely surprise. I'm sure you'll meet loads of people and make some wonderful friends!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too, yourself included!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never could have imagined the amazing friends I'd meet when I started blogging ... it's truly a special place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! The people you meet through blogging are truly the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the BEST bit of blogging and something so unbelievably unexpected, no? Maybe. It's just an awesome way to meet like minded lovely people.
    Although you guys are going to have to stop having quite so much damn fun, it's making the rest of us look bad. I never had cause to use the phrase 'squad goals' until now and despite being only 76% confident I'm using it right, this feels like the time.
    Love love loved this very much.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me neither, I didn't even know it was a thing until it suddenly happened!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  13. High five to that!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally unexpected but definitely the best bit of blogging (aside from the time someone sent me that thing that was good).
    I feel like Taylor Swift now someone has used 'squad goals' in reference to something I'm a part of. I mean, blimey!
    Hope to meet you at some point for more internet friend blog opportunities!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, I'm so gald I met you and Etta too and we do have fun trying all the new eats around town =D

    Lucy
    www.lucylovestoeat.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love you guys oh-so much!! <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much food all the time <3
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  18. MWAH! <3
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This made me so happy! I'm really pleased for you that you were able to gain true friendships, just through the internet/blogging! I'd love to experience this myself x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Charlie Elliott1 May 2017 at 21:16

    I'm sure you will! I never set out to meet friends through blogging, but we all just kind of kept ending up in the same places at the same time!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I read every single one and they always make my day!

Don't forget you can tweet me at @charlienin or email at charliedistracted@gmail.com if you have any other questions.

Cx

As of 20th November 2014, any products marked with an asterisk (*) have been provided as a sample for unbiased review