The Incredible Giant Buddha of Leshan, China
Monday, 25 July 2016
China's big, isn't it? I'd never even heard of Leshan before planning this trip, but even this 'small' city has a population of almost two million. We drove for over three hours from our base in Chengdu to get there and visit the thing Leshan is most famous for: a giant Buddha carved in to the cliff face at the confluence of the Minjiang, Dadu and Qingyi rivers.
We decided to see the big man himself in two ways, and the first was by boat. Our view was...non-existent, at first. That famous Chinese mist had come to torment us once again and we couldn't see a bloody thing, but as we got moving, the elements took pity on us. As we approached we could see the delicate and weathered carvings of the Buddha's protectors and then, seemingly out of nowhere, there he was.
The people climbing down the side of him looked so incredibly tiny, which next to his 71 metre frame, is understandable. We bobbed on the river, tipping the boat as 40+ people rushed to one side to get a good view. But it was OK; we saw what we could and then headed across the river to walk up to the top.
The climb really wasn't that bad. There are carvings in the walls the whole way up, and the stairs are broad and moderate; there were some hard arse OAPs going at a rate of knots so we couldn't complain. We reached the top pretty easily and joined the epic queue to get back down again. It felt slighty futile, but we bought Cornettos and gossiped and stared out rude people that stood too close (because that is totally a thing in China and my patience can only take it for so long).
The view from the top is truly spectacular. The detail is so intricate throughout, and to think that it is over 1200 years old and has been left to the mercy of the elements. There were birds nesting in the ear holes, clearly defined finger and toenails and a friendly, peaceful face which was truly fascinating to look at.
We wound our way down to the bottom and looked up whilst Buddhists lit incense and prayed. It wasn't the most calming religious monument I've ever been to, but it's certainly up there with one of the most impressive. The fact that it is actually part of the rock is utterly mesmerising and you can get over the inevitable crowds when you get to see something so incredibly unique.
loading..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As of 20th November 2014, any products marked with an asterisk (*) have been provided as a sample for unbiased review













Holy crap, never heard of this guy before but wow I want to see him IRL now for sure! x
ReplyDeleteWow, this looks amazing - I've never heard about this before either, incredible how much of the world there is still to explore! x
ReplyDeleteWell he is quite an impressive fellow!! it's a shame about the crowds but I can totally understand so many people wanting to see something so incredible
ReplyDeleteOh wow I thought I'd seen some big buddhas but that's on another scale! <3
ReplyDeleteThe Quirky Queer
It's pretty insane! I'm just amazed it's remained in such good condition for so long!
ReplyDeleteIt's just China in general, there's always SO many people, no matter where you go! But totally worth the crowds.
ReplyDeleteCx
I'm so glad we got a guide in Chengdu, or we'd have never known. It's about a three hour drive from Chengdu, but totally worth it.
ReplyDeleteCx
I'd never heard of him either, but he's a stunner, isn't he?!
ReplyDeleteCx
Wow, that looks incredible Charlie! I know I keep sounding like a broken record, but it has been SO amazing to live vicariously through you adventures these past few months.
ReplyDeleteThis guy is epic!
ReplyDeleteHow cool! I've never even heard of this place before! And so many Chinese tourists 😳
ReplyDeleteSo many more posts to come! China was only my 3rd country, I'm still in the process of editing thousands of photos!
ReplyDeleteCx
He most certainly is!
ReplyDeleteCx
It's incredible isn't it? I went there is 2011 but the weirdest thing was that I was treated like Angelina Jolie or something and people kept wanting to take photos with me. I was the total freakshow. We happened to be there on a public holiday - so many people! You got great photos!
ReplyDeleteLisa
Not Quite Enough
We were exactly the same! I've had that in China before and it is very odd, but most people are pretty polite. I was in Xi'an during a public holiday and it scared the life out of me. I ended up hiding in my hotel!
ReplyDeleteCx
Wow, your pictures are just amazing, I would absolutely love to visit one day, I'll add it to my ever-growing list of things to see in China (which is already SO long!)
ReplyDeleteLyndsay | Fizzy Peaches Travel & Lifestyle Blog
My list is so long too! And I've been twice already!
ReplyDeleteCx
Wow, these photos are stunning! That Buddha is incredible, great post!
ReplyDeleteElla xx
www.inellaselement.co.uk