The thing is, when I travel to a country I want to sample whatever produce it's famous for, and South Africa is known for its wine. Although in no way a connoisseur, I wanted to understand exactly what it is that I enjoy in a wine so I'm not blindly guessing next time I'm in a restaurant. Myself and a friend joined African Story Tours for a day exploring the vineyards of the Cape Winelands - starting only about 20 minutes from Cape Town.
The two main areas in the region are Stellenbosch and Paarl, and we skimmed both in order to get a wide sampling opportunity. With four vineyards to cover, and each providing six wines to try, we started drinking at around 10.30am. Now don't get this confused with a lads-on-tour booze cruise; the emphasis is on enjoying quality and not on getting annihilated. Samples are not an entire glass and spitoons are provided if you'd rather swill and dispose.
We visited Anura Wine, Kanonkop, Backsberg and Fairview each varying in size and offering; all of them sat on estates that you could happily roam on a sunny afternoon. Although the staff at each vineyard (as well as our super friendly and enthusiastic guide James) were all clearly passionate about wine, the mood was never pretentious, as tourism is so paramount to these areas that being picky with clientele would be massively counter-productive.
As well as sampling a few of the famous South African pinotage varieties, plus more well known bottles like cabernet sauvignon and shiraz, we also had a few different options. Two of my favourites were a MCC (SA fizz akin to champagne) and a brandy tasting - both at Backsberg.
The day finished at beautiful Fairview - one of the biggest vineyards in the region. It's home to some rather adorable goats, whose milk is used in the goats cheese which features in the awesome wine and cheese pairing menu on offer.
We didn't get to explore the town of Stellenbosch itself sadly, but having somebody drive you from vineyard to vineyard is definitely the way to do wine tasting! And anyway, it's cultural, right?!














I spent my medical school elective period with two months at the University of Stellenbosch. Naturally we made a few trips to the winelands... The area is beautiful and I loved the relaxed feel of going to each estate, enjoying the sunshine and learning something about wine!
ReplyDeleteJennifer x
Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog
Since we are headed to Cape Town in a couple weeks, this is great information. I will definitely check out Stellenbosch and the rest of the local wine country. Can't wait to try this great wine at the source!
ReplyDeleteI would love to try wine in Cape Town - South Africa has been on my list for quite a while.
ReplyDeleteWe spent 5 weeks in South Africa back in 2004 and spent several days self driving around the cape wine region, which was just beautiful. I'm more into sweet wines so mostly happy to drive so Pete could taste away and then one day he drove me to a couple for some sweet wines. Such a great experience!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't really considered it before meeting a friend who's from there, but it's a beautiful country
ReplyDeleteCx
You'll have a wonderful time! They are very passionate about their wine so you'll definitely find something you like
ReplyDeleteCx
Oh wow! That sounds wonderful. I'd like to go back and actually go into Stellenbosch as sadly this time we didn't go into the town. But the wine was excellent!
ReplyDeleteCx
Wine tasting in the Cape Winelands is the best thing ever!! So glad that you got there!
ReplyDelete