![]() |
| Image source |
![]() |
| Our guide, Richard Image source |
I'm sure I don't need to explain the details of Jack the Ripper's killings, as they are an infamous part of London history; their news even reaching Queen Victoria herself and actually helping to reform parts of the city's legal system in regards to the homeless. What you will inevitably know is that all of Jack's victims were prostitutes, the profession of at least 1,000 of London's homeless population (which was over 8,000 at the time). We were told about the last people to see the victims alive, their back stories and familial connections, and of course, where they were found and the violent injuries they'd received by the twisted murderer.
When you're standing on the exact spot of a murder it doesn't matter how famous it now is, there's still a chill that goes through you. There's definitely a sense of wrongdoing at having entertainment at these people's expense, but I don't really see it as that; rather it's a historical education. I learnt a huge amount about Victorian England, the way the country was run, and how the police system had a some massive issues (washing blood away from the crime scene and removing graffiti from the supposed killer are just two examples of their incompetence!). I learned which buildings in Whitechapel used to be brothels or doss houses, now with primary schools and eateries in their place. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat in the Truman Brewery food market again after learning what happened in there all those years ago!
(Disclaimer: I was kindly invited to attend the walk for free, but all opinions are honest and unbiased)
Thanks to Madeleine Miranda for sharing her photos from the night!




Ah this is on my ever growing list of things to do in London! I'll do it eventually! I love gory history.
ReplyDeleteSophie
x
Then you'll love this! It really turned my stomach :/
DeleteI went on a Jack the Ripper tour a couple of months ago and loved it! I think it is such an interesting and different thing to do on an evening out in London, and they are quite the bargain. Hope you had a fab time! x
ReplyDeleteJasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog
I'd been meaning to do it for so long, I'm so pleased I finally got around to it!
DeleteCx
I've done things like this in other cities but never in London! Sounds like an interesting evening out! x
ReplyDeleteGreat post, sounds interesting!
ReplyDeletehttp://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/
This fascinates me a lot. I have heard more about Jack the Ripper, so I would love this tour.
ReplyDelete