I've had acne since I was about 21. I have no idea what triggered it, but try as I might it will not shift. I've read every trick in the book to try and get rid of it: stopping drinking, cutting out gluten, trying every cosmetic ever recommended in every magazine. I take my make-up off before bed, I try not to touch my face at all and I more than regularly change my pillow cases. I've even changed my contraception in the hope that that might work. Nothing changes though. It doesn't matter how clean my lifestyle, I relentlessly have these bloody marks on my face.
I've found a foundation that covers it enough but I try whenever possible to go make-up free in the blind hope that I'll be magically cured by some sunshine. When around friends and family I feel more comfortable being bare-faced, but as time has gone on I'm less fussed about who sees me because I'm kind of tired of giving a crap.
That's why, on my recent trip to Barcelona, I didn't wear make-up on the plane. I never do when I fly, and who was I going to see at 5am in Gatwick that I cared about anyway? I got to the apartment we were renting for my sister-in-law's hen do with the intention of ditching my bag, putting some slap on and going for a wander before the rest of the party arrived. I arrived earlier than expected so the landlord kindly took my bag into storage, my foundation and concealer along with it. It didn't bother me and I was blissfully happy on my own, meandering through the streets of Barcelona alone.
I found a place to sit and have lunch in the sunshine and the woman next to me struck up a conversation. Now I love this; having travelled alone before, there's nothing better than meeting like-minded solo tourists and having a chat. It quickly dawned on me that she was in fact, slightly strange, but hey, I'm British and I'll be polite until the end. She started telling me that she's a dermatologist and insisted on writing recommendations down for me, telling me I could have them for free if I just bought her a drink (how about no...). I declined and tried to read my book, realising that maybe this conversation wasn't quite as pleasant as I'd initially thought. She persisted though, and maybe it was a dodgy translation but she said, "You should listen to me, your skin is ugly."
I almost punched her. I wanted to walk away but I'd already ordered my food. I didn't know what to do; I was on the verge of tears and suddenly very aware that she was just saying what everyone else must have been thinking. She kept trying to pull me into conversation (I think my face told her that she'd overstepped the mark) but by this point I had just retreated into one tiny fixed smile/grimace and held my book as close to my face as possible.
It's taken me years to accept that I'm blighted with this damn bloody condition and one small remark from a stranger has made me feel, in her words, ugly. I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe it's time to finally demand proper medical assistance beyond the topical creams I've previously been prescribed. I'm trying not to become too reliant on make-up again but it feels like the easy option right now. I want to continue my 'fuck it' attitude but it's not so easy to do when you actually do care. And now I do. I do care. I care if people think my skin is ugly but I'm totally powerless to do anything about it; all I can do is carry on as usual, but for now at least it's with that niggling voice in the back of my head telling me to cover up.

I hope something got lost in translation or that girl has one hell of an ugly personality.
ReplyDeleteAcne is an absolutely nightmare I have suffered from it since I was about 14 and like you have tried every product, foundation, medication, diet etc and it still won't take the hint and piss off. I still do not feel comfortable in front of anyone without covering it up but part of me thinks if their was less pressure to hide skin conditions then it would become less of a big deal. The few times I have been unable to hide behind make up people have been shocked and made comments like 'ow that looks really sore' yes it is but please stop staring at it with a weird fascination that is my actual face.
Please continue with that 'fuck it' attitude and don't let blatant idiots get you down.
Thanks so much, Emma. People would never outright comment on any other kind of condition - in fact people are embarrassed to say anything to anyone about anything most of the time, so it is totally baffling that they feel it's their right to point out something that we are perfectly aware of.
DeleteCx
Charlie, I hope the translation was wrong or else like Emma said, this girl needs a serious personality overhaul.
ReplyDeleteI've recently written a post about this (not posted it yet - funnily enough because I'm too nervous that it'll only draw attention to something I run away from) because for me, spots are the one thing that can make me crumble.. I went through a particularly tough phase when I hit 30 and my skin went bonkers out of the blue - I didn't want to see anyone....didn't want my husband anywhere near me...wouldn't socialise, DREADED going to work.
It sounds so silly as I realise there are bigger problems out there but when you can embrace that stage you were at (until numpty donkey brains came along) and just don't care (because I think the reality is that 99% of decent, kind human beings don't care either), then it's a huge positive. Don't let one ignorant tosspot change that for you. xx
I actually wrote this post while still sat next to her as I was so angry I had to write it there and then or I'd flip out. You're right, it does sound silly to be so affected by something, but it's one of those things I just try not to focus on or I'd lose my mind. She made me concentrate on it more than I have in years and that was what was upsetting.
DeleteAnd 'numpty donkey brains' is the best insult ever!
Cx
This is absolutely awful. Ive suffered acne since I was 11. Younger than most and its been a long horrendous journey. I eventually succumbed to roaccutane and my skin is better but now im stuck with the scars. I hope that once your anger subsides you can go back tk your care free attitude because tactless scroungers like this silly woman do not deserve your time and energy!
ReplyDeleteDamzelinthisdress.com
My doctor doesn't think it's bad enough for roaccutane which is so frustrating as the other stuff just doesn't work. Similarly, it is predominantly scars that I'm left with now but you're right, she doesn't deserve my time and energy, I need to learn from it and move on!
DeleteCx
I paid 100 quid to go private and get roaccutane. My skin was great for about 4 years. Started having painful spots again and have plastered double wear over it for a year now so I might pay to go private again. 100 pounds is nothing really considering how painful my spots are. My face is so badly scarred and my partner has never seen me bare faced. It's pretty sad that I feel the need to take my make up off when he's sleeping. One comment can really have a huge impact and I'm sorry to hear you were unlucky enough to meet such a rude ass xx
DeleteOh sometimes it's just that one comment that hits a nerve isn't it? I've had it before with my weight from a tour guide in China, I tried to ignore it but it's hard to when it's something that you feel self-conscious about anyway.
ReplyDeleteIf you hadn't written this post I never would have known you have skin problems. I know that in an ideal world the solution is to get happy with yourself acne or not, but if you do look into doing something about it, Megs of Wonderful You recently wrote about her experience of treatments and the results look amazing http://www.wonderful--you.com/2015/05/how-i-got-rid-of-my-acne.html I don't imagine it's cheap but it may be worth looking into if it really is something you want to do something about (although you totally shouldn't have to feel like you do because of one idiot). x
Isn't it bizarre that people think it's OK to comment? Maybe with you it was also a 'lost in translation' thing but tact surely transcends language. Or you'd think so anyway. Thanks so much for the link, I'll definitely check it out.
DeleteCx
I really am sorry that someone made such a rude comment to you. My skin has always been so problematic, it reacts to just about anything, I get terrible acne which won't subside for anything and if I try to wear make up to cover it up I just react to that so it makes things worse. I do try to ignore it, but my achilles heel has always been my size. Comments on that have a major effect on me and I'm always convinced that even if people don't say anything,t hey're thinking it.
ReplyDeleteYour last sentence is exactly what makes my point. We all have these 'flaws' that we're conscious of and we think people judge us on, so when people do it's heightened ten-fold. It all starts with ourselves thinking more positively and trying so hard to not let others pull us back down.
DeleteCx
Please please please don't let a comment from a moronic stranger dent your confidence and positive body image. It makes me so angry that some people think it's appropriate to comment on any part of your body.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying my best! I'd never say anything like that to anyone so it really took me aback.
DeleteCx
Hey. I totally get this. I have a very similar problem with my skin, have done since I was 13 (now 34) and nothing I try does the trick. It's totally confidence sapping. I'm just starting to get to the stage where I am not relying on make up quite as much - when it's just family anyway. If someone had said these things to me I would have been equally as angry and upset, I completely get your reaction. I got called pizza face the other day by a couple of boys in the street; I burst into tears instantly (yes, at 34, two 10 year olds made me cry) - I haven't heard that one since school. People can be so cruel, how dare this woman say those things. I hope the fact that you've written this down and shared it will help you rebuild your confidence.
ReplyDeleteWriting this has been extremely cathartic and the response from people has been overwhelming. Kids really don't know the power of what they're saying (not that that excuses them), let's just hope that your reaction has made them feel awful and that they think twice about ever saying something like that again.
DeleteCx
I remember been about 17 and working as a glass collector in a bar. One night a guy leaned over the bar and actually jabbed one of my spots and said oh that looks nasty. I was mortified!! The only good thing about having spots is you have to develop a personality as you cant rely on your looks which in hindsight isnt a bad thing.
ReplyDeleteIt was a blog that saved my skin - Caroline Hirons shes a facialist that has a brilliantly helpful blog.
Good god! I can't believe that, physically touching you is so inappropriate, how dare he! I'll be looking at that blog, for sure. Thanks so much for sharing.
DeleteCx
One of my first boyfriends had acne on his face, neck and back (quite severely) but it never seemed to bother me. It was never something I felt I had to bring up in conversation, because let's face it we all have flaws whether it be stretch marks (which I certainly have), chicken pox scars (which I also have) and a few marks here and there (perks of owning straighteners). I think anyone who can openly tell their story is a brave individual, even my boyfriend now has bad patches of skin (he always seems to ask me to squeeze spots and blackheads, which I seem to actually enjoy haha!) - although if you feel uncomfortable perhaps ask your Doctor for some antibiotic tablets or a strong cream, I had one for a while but I'm not sure what it was called x
ReplyDeletewww.sheintheknow.co.uk
I hear you with the stretch marks! And I love squeezing spots, but it's SO bad for acne so I have to resist as much as possible. I've never written about having acne before because it's not something that I want to define me, but it's really helped take a weight off my shoulders and it's amazing to read the stories people are sharing about their own experiences.
DeleteCx
Hi Charlie,
ReplyDeleteI just found you're blog while researching about Lush Oxford street products and I can't help but commenting (please forgive me if my English is a bit strange /spelling mistakes : it is not my mother tongue).
I never suffered acne until 18 months ago. I am 41. My acne has been diagnosed as midly severe. It is now under control thanks to my doctor.
So acne was not an issue back when I was young. However, obesity was and still is.
It's the same mecanism. People want to give you help you did not ask for. Or sometimes they're just plain rude.
Well, I've learnt to say "no" to any comment about my being fat (or my acne for that matter).
My response would be "if looking at me is so unpleasant to you, then look somewhere else".
Or "thank you for your concern. What about you ? What are you planning to do about you're teeth / hair / nose / weight issues ?"
Or "wooooww... You've got some brilliant observation skills... What do you do for a living ? Private investigator ? Policeman ? You should. You're gifted".
You might think my responses are rude. May be they are. But who was rude to you in the first place ? You have the right to stand up for yourself. And being rude to a rude person is not being rude (if that makes any sens).
You don't have to apologise or be ashamed for who you are or what you look like.
Ho ! And I think being attractive has nothing to do with being perfect (as Rebecca Ellis' comment illustrated).
Love yourself :)
Thanks so much for leaving your comment. With hindsight I wish I had said something more clever but I was so taken aback I couldn't think straight! It is very strange that people feel that it's OK for them to comment on physical appearance of others, it's just none of their business but it's like they want brownie points for being observant. I'm feeling much better about the situation since writing this - the internet community has been amazingly supportive and that's helped so much.
DeleteCx
It definitely takes some pratice, but the first time you answer back, I promise you'll feel proud, powerfull and confident :)
Delete