My recent trip to Barcelona was in honour of a wonderful woman becoming my sister-in-law. A hen do is a strange gathering: a group of people of all ages, who often don't know each other that well, all coming together to have organised fun. We had plans for our first night - a VIP table at a swanky club, and more loose ideas for the second evening. So I packed smart-casual bits and one dress to go 'out-out' in. I never go out clubbing. There just rarely seems to be a night where I want to get sweaty and pay too much for drinks in a dark room, surrounded by people with questionable morals and music tastes. But with all that, I actually had a great night at
There just rarely seems to be a night where I want to get sweaty and pay too much for drinks in a dark room, surrounded by people with questionable morals and music tastes. But with all that, I actually had a great night at Eclipse, a club at the top of the iconic W Hotel on Barcelona's beach front.
There just rarely seems to be a night where I want to get sweaty and pay too much for drinks in a dark room, surrounded by people with questionable morals and music tastes. But with all that, I actually had a great night at Eclipse, a club at the top of the iconic W Hotel on Barcelona's beach front.
![]() |
| I'm wearing: Dress - ASOS (similar here) Shoes - Topshop Lip gloss - Make-Up Forever |
I bought this dress for my little sister's 18th birthday in December 2013 for the bargain price of £9 from ASOS. I love the length, it's demure enough to keep me safe in the knowledge that I won't be flashing my arse unwittingly. The mesh panels add a bit of raunch though (the the fear of showing some boob is very real), but ultimately I'm still covered up. I wore my beloved Topshop gold heeled strappy boots which add some much needed bling and suit me so much more than a stiletto heel. I always feel so uncomfortable if there isn't a small element of dressing down to my outfits, so a clunky heel made me feel much better. And notice the return of my awesome Make-Up Forever gloss? It's so pink and stays on all night, I just adore it.
For the second night, I originally wore a maxi dress but hadn't bought the right shoes with me and felt totally underdressed in flip-flops when the rest of the girls were all looking glam. So I quickly changed into my go-to going out outfit of jeans, top, heels. I guess it's what a magazine would call a desk-to-dancefloor look.
"Ditch those trainers for some heels and add some lippy for a faaaaaaabulous transformation!"
![]() |
| I'm wearing: Cami - ASOS Mom jeans - ASOS Heels - Topshop Clutch - Mong Kok market |
It's a super basic combo of mom jeans and white cami, both from ASOS, and the same Topshop heels from the night before. I love heels with this slouchy fit of jeans, it's such a clash of looks and I'll be honest, I've pinned it wanting to try it a zillion times. My bag is a cheap bargain from Mong Kok market in Hong Kong. Like I said, I don't go out that often so I only have a handful of bags for these occasions. This one tends to go with everything, what with black and gold being my standard colours when hitting the town. Again, I had a stellar lipstick that wouldn't budge even when it was being dunked in booze all night. This orangey-coral is Upbeat from Lush, one of the new exclusive products at their Oxford Street store. Different to the red/pink variations I usually wear, it's quickly becoming a favourite.
What do you wear for a night out abroad?



I really don't go out as much as I used to nowadays and even when I do I prefer bars to clubs! Like you said unquestionable morals and music choice really isn't what I want to pay for throughout the night!
ReplyDeleteWhen abroad for a night out I suppose I would go for either smart shorts and a top with sandals or a maxi with wedges and a clutch. Might have to put together a couple of looks on Polyvore!
I love wearing smart shorts on a night out abroad but sadly the weather in Barcelona was a little chillier than I'd anticipated so I had to improvise with jeans!
DeleteCx
Awesome! Thanks so much for the documentary recommendations! So good to get some new input, I'll check them out if I can find them online :)
ReplyDeleteAlso yay Barcelona! I'm jealous because I haven't been there in 3 years, would love to go again.
You look superchic in the black dress! It's sexy but not cheap, subtle sexiness with the mesh parts, very cool!
The other look is nice too, something I'd definitely wear to meet friends for cocktails or something like that! :)
Hope you enjoy them!
DeleteThanks for your comment, I agree that the mesh is demure but sexy, that's about as raunchy as I get!
Cx
Love your swanky black dress! So chic!
ReplyDeleteAnd Mong Kok is just shopping heaven :)
lucylovestoeat.com
Thanks Lucy! I loved Mong Kok, although I did basically get chased down the road by people desperate to sell me a bargain!
DeleteCx
I love both of these looks. How amazing is that black dress though and what a bargain! Hope you had a fab night!
ReplyDeleteVictoria xx thedaisyjaynes.com
Thanks Vicky!
DeleteCx