All content and photos property of Charlie Elliott (unless otherwise stated). Powered by Blogger.

[Food] Trade, Commercial Street


I once had an argument with a friend about what time counts as brunch. On a weekend I could eat breakfast at 1pm if I'm feeling particularly lazy and can't quite bring myself to go to the shop and buy something. Similarly, I can demolish lunch by 12pm if I'm having a sugar crash at work. I don't think brunch is defined by time, rather it is decided by what you have to eat. Essentially, if you're having a kind of breakfast food around lunchtime and you're in a social setting, you've got yourself a bonafide brunch. It's also a word now synonymous with being pissed by midday, but a trip to Trade was more suited to a pot of tea.

I've walked past Trade a few times and have stopped in to grab a bacon roll after going to the gym (I'm of the 'I did exercise so I can eat this cake' school of thought'). Peeking beyond the till area, I could see the secret garden advertised on the board outside, and was genuinely excited about an outdoor space away from the main road, set in such a busy part of east London.

A few weeks later, I suggested it as a place to meet a friend late one Saturday morning, and by 11.30am, the place was already packed. Long benches and wooden tables are taken up with your standard Shoreditch types, but delighted tourists and young families too. The place isn't big and maybe sits around 40 people at a push, so you may have to perch on the end of an already-taken table, but the buzz and atmosphere means you're neighbours won't be listening to every word you say.


I had poached eggs, pancetta and asparagus on sourdough toast, with the obligatory pot of tea. The toast was crisp, the eggs were runny - it's a simple dish, but it was so nice to have something offered up with eggs other than avocado (which I hate, to the horror of quite a vast majority of people). This isn't a place to come for a greasy fry-up, we're not looking at mounds of baked beans and a fried egg cooked in the same pan as the bacon. It's a lighter, yet not necessarily healthier, choice.


Speaking of not being healthy, I couldn't resist ordering the last bread-and-butter-pudding-croissant. As an amateur baker and professional cake eater, I was fascinated as to what this would be like. Slicing into it, you could see the flaky layers of a croissant, but when tasting it it was much more like a bread and butter pudding - surprisingly thick and really delicious. Luckily for me, there weren't any raisins as you would find in the traditional dish, but there were a couple of berries on the top to make me feel slightly less guilty.

Only a stones throw from Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane, Trade on Commercial Street is a secret well worth sharing. Escape the crowds and disappointing sandwiches and head down to see what new cake hybrids they have in store!


Click to add a blog post for Trade on Zomato

16 comments

  1. Such a comforting meal! And the pudding looks delicious! I never used croissants for mine, but I make it with brioche and caramelised apples - it's really good and very indulgent (once a year treat) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow it looks delicious!

    www.saltandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! I wish I had money to eat out :( For now I will just have to drool over your amazing food pics!

    DiscoverMe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't too expensive, I think it was about £7 for the eggs and I was full for the rest of the day! xx

      Delete
  4. This looks so yummy! I agree....brunch is definitely dependent on what you eat, not when you eat
    The Doctor Diva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be using you as an example next time I have this argument with my friend!! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh it all looks and sounds so good! That bread and butter croissant dish sounds out of this world good and now I'm hungry;)

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist it. It was just sat there calling to me as I ordered my eggs!!

      Delete
  6. Hahaha! I am also the "I sweated my ass off so I can eat cake" kinda girl too - if my blog didn't already tell you that ;)
    Thanks for visiting me, I LOVE finding blogs written by fellow Londoners. Brunch posts are one my of my fav kinds of posts too :) I have never been here but it looks like I must try, those eggs look heavenly! The place kind of reminds me of Caravan in Kings Cross :) <3

    www.tealightsky.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hold the phone now! Bread and butter croissant?! OMG. Not only does your brunch look delicious, that sounds amazing. It's kinda like Caravan Kings X but a bit brighter looking (or at least your photos make it look that way!) Next time I'm in London I'll be sure to check it out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read right! It exists and it's AWESOME!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, I read every single one and they always make my day!

Don't forget you can tweet me at @charlienin or email at charliedistracted@gmail.com if you have any other questions.

Cx

As of 20th November 2014, any products marked with an asterisk (*) have been provided as a sample for unbiased review